Saturday, April 17, 2010

Final Reflections - The End which Leads to New Beginnings

Hi all! I guess the title pretty much says it all. But nevertheless, I still have much to say and much to share with you guys. For this last blog post, I shall share about my personal reflections of this ES2007S module.

In a blink of an eye, 13 weeks have hurriedly come to past. Much has been taught and learned throughout this period. Looking back at my first blog post, I have written about why I have chosen to take this module, as well as the things I hope to learn. Yes, this module has let me brought home a lot of things through many different enriching activities.

Firstly, the peer teaching class. It has taught me that coming out with a lesson plan is not easy. It must be detailed enough such that if another person were to take over the lesson, he or she must be able to deliver all the items. Also at the same time, the lesson plan must not be superfluous. Moreover, being the first formal presentation which I have to make in class, I was too nervous. Making a presentation is certainly not an easy task!

Secondly, resume and application letter writing. This task really put me in a tough spot as my writing skills are not fantastic. Yet, we must learn how to utilize the 7Cs of writing in order to market ourselves effectively in our resume and application letter. This has made me realise that there are actually lots of details we need to take note of - not as simple as we think!

Thirdly, the interview session. This session let me get a taste of how an interview is like, including the kinds of questions that can be asked, how to conduct ourselves during an interview and what kind of responses we should give. There is lots of knowledge in this.

Fourth, proposal writing and presentation. As proposal writing is new to me and my team mates, it was actually a difficult task. Much can be learned from this activity, especially how to utilize the 7Cs of writing. Ultimately, after hitting the wall and getting stuck at times, our group has managed to come out with a fairly decent proposal. Following this was the oral presentation which turned out to be quite alright, all thanks to our frequent rehearsals. Kudos to Team BryAn! - it actually means (Bry)an + (An)dy and (An)drew. Thanks to each of our efforts which let everything run so smoothly =)!

Through all these activities, I must say we have really come a long way, learning many new things which we never knew before we have taken this module! I am sure we can apply all these transferable skills in future. Although things have come to an end, however this marks many new beginnings as well. New friendships, new knowledge which we can utilize, new presentations and interviews which we have to embark on in future and so on... Well, good things have to come to an end, right?

Lastly, I want to thank all my classmates for making the class so lively and different from the ever-so-boring classes in NUS. Also, thank you Ms. Lim for coming out with many interesting activities such as the personality test and role stripping game. I believe everyone enjoyed the activities as well!

KUDOS to everyone and ES2007S =D!!!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Andrew,

    Thanks for this detailed, final post summarizing all the skills you'd picked up - it is certainly gratifying to know that you found the module beneficial. I'm also happy to hear that the personality test and role stripping activity are of help to you.

    I appreciate the consistent work you put in for your assignments, and also for your effort in contributing constructive comments / suggestions to your classmates. You've participated actively in class discussions, and it has been wonderful having you in my class this semester.

    All the best to you, and let's stay in touch!

    Ms. Lim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I agree that we have all learned a lot from this module. I will like to take this opportunity to thank you for giving me the chance to work with you two. The 3 of us never had the chance to write such a proposal before hence it’s like something totally new to us. I am thankful to have you 2 as my group mates, giving constructive ideas and figuring it out together. Thanks for the entertainment during our meetings! It has been a great experience working with you.

    xoxo,
    Student A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew,

    Great working with you this semester. I really enjoyed working with you during the peer teaching. I really learnt a lot about working in a team as well as how to conduct a lesson. I don't think it would have gone as smoothly without you.

    The various other module components really did teach us many important skills that will definitely be useful to us in life. I really feel that taking this module was a good choice as these useful skills are not easy to acquire once we venture out into the workforce.

    Great working with you this semester. All the best for your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all,

    Thank you for commenting on my last post.

    Well, I feel that this module really has a high learning value as lots of things are generally new to us. I feel that there were really lots to lean but too little time. But nevertheless, we have learned a great deal from this module. These communication skills will definitely serve us well in a way or another.

    I like the interactive lessons. It was a great learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrew,

    This could be your last post for ES2007S, but you can still post for yourself. Hahaa...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrew,

    Yes, time really did fly by didn't it ? (But then again, thats happens every semester in NUS). And yes, this module was such a refreshing break from all our other modules in NUS. Our friendly class definitely made a big difference. It made all of us comfortable enough to share our opinions and points of view. I think all of us have benefited from listening to feedback from others in the class.

    Anyway best of luck for all your modules in NUS. And keep singing too :) Take care and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey,
    the team bryAn thing is cool! I didn't realise.
    Anyway, this semester has been like whirlwind. I can't believe its examination time already. I totally agree with all your points about the module. It has been a very enriching experience as all the activities we did are very relevant to our lives, especially for the Yr 4 students. I personally liked the peer teaching session alot as it was very eye-opening and like you said, the detail needed in the lesson plan was astonishing.
    Keep in touch:)
    jigna

    ReplyDelete