Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Yes! The second and last oral presentation for ES2007S is finally over! It was certainly not easy. But it was really a valuable experience for me. Now, let me share with you about my experience of this oral presentation.

The first oral presentation I had was the one for peer tutoring. Recalling about that experience, I was really nervous and stammered a lot. For the second and final oral presentation which I had last week, I basically tried not to repeat the mistakes I made for the first one.

When the presentation began, I told myself that the show is on and prayed that everything would go on smoothly. As Bryan was smoothly breezing through his part of the presentation, I started to get more and more nervous after each slide that passed. Soon, when he passed the time over to me, I told myself that I can do it and tried to calm myself down a bit. For the first couple of minutes, I believe I was a little nervous and began to stammer but as soon as I began to feel at ease, I could think and speak better.

Gestures, eye contact, voice projection, pronunciation, speaking coherently - all these things were constantly in my head as I told myself to monitor all these while I tried to look more natural and calm. It was certainly not easy but luckily I had quite a few rehearsals, so things were not as bad as I thought it would turn out to be. Certainly, practice makes perfect. Certain gestures, pauses and phrases came out naturally as rehearsals etched these subconsciously into my mind so that I could connect each sentence and speak more smoothly. Moments later, I had finished my part of the presentation and quickly passed on to Andy as I heaved a sigh of relief.

Our presentation took about 15 minutes. It was really quick as Andy thanked the audience and we proceeded on to the Q&A session. Questions kept pouring in and I felt a bit lost at first. I took a while to ponder on some of the questions and tried my best to come out with some appropriate answers. However, some of the questions were knew-you-would-ask kind of questions as our group had pondered on some of the questions that might be asked earlier on. And luckily for that, we could come out with some appropriate answers quite effortlessly. Not long later, the Q&A session was brought to an end as Alex signaled to stop. We quickly finished off to answer the last question and ended the entire presentation.

This oral presentation was really tougher than the first peer tutoring presentation. This is partly due to the greater amount of contents presented, as well as a more intense Q&A session. I am glad that all these are over. I have certainly learned a great deal from this oral presentation experience.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Andrew,

    First and foremost, congrats to you and your team for completing the presentation pitch! It's awesome =)

    1. Your Q&A session was a little intensive with many questions and one of the question I asked was "What is the difference between your proposed module and ES2007S and how do you teach networking skills" I must say you and your team manage to point out the key difference very concisely - You said the key difference lies in the "hands-on approach". I think you guys must have brainstormed the possible questions and this might be one of the question your team has previously taught before. Well done =)

    2. I think you are standing a little to the back (near the projector). Would be better if you had stood further in front =)

    3. The way you presented on Thursday gave me the impression you're a very serious and confident presenter who has a message to bring across. I think this is great! Keep it up!

    Finally, we've finished our presentation! It's time to sit down, relax and start thinking of questions for the next few teams next week =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew,

    I think your presentation was very well done. Your delivery was well rehearsed and very smooth. I can see that you have become more confident with speaking in front of a group since the peer teaching session. The tone of voice and pace of delivery was just right.

    The question and answer session was very well handled with the whole team being very familiar with the project and being able to answer the questions. Good job on that.

    Overall the presentation was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for your comments =)! I shall work harder for my future presentations.

    I have to thank my group mates - Bryan and Andy. It was each and everyone's effort which made things run smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I feel that you have defiantly improved a lot over the past few rehearsals. The presentation went by pretty smoothly and everything went by much better than expected. Still remembered our 1st draft slides? And the final slides? I think we have come a long way editing our slides and making it nicer! Great Job!

    xoxo,
    Student A

    ReplyDelete